The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Questions About The Forum 

Post Questions About The Forum
Hi Ananda Staff,

I am generally pleased with the forum, however, I have noticed that there are several users that are posting incoherent nonsense and unrelated advertisements. This really ruins the experience. I would really like to see to see these messages deleted from the forum and the people posting these messages banned from the forum if they continue to violate the rules and etiquette of "forum behavior".

I look forward to reading the new posts from the people that actually take this forum seriously and I am quite annoyed by the prevalence of these posts that are pure gibberish.

Thank You,

Sue

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:55 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Questions About The Forum
Hi Sue,

Totally agree. It's that our host, Yahoo, makes it very hard to make modifications to prevent this. I've finally got a replicate of the system on my own computer so I can test some of these features without destroying the board (did that one too many times).

In the meantime, I have been banning the people posting advertisements not just by username, but by their actual computer. And of course removing the posts. Best I can do at the moment.

I would be willing to give you moderator privileges if you'd like...I have a good feeling about you...but honestly, I'm not quite sure what that entails once you receive them. I suppose you can edit, delete, warn, that sort of thing. I have not looked further into it.

I wouldn't expect you to take time out to DO the moderation, but just to delete or edit a post you came across should it be simple and appropriate. How do you feel about that?

Thanks,
Eric

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi Eric,

I am really enjoying the forum and I wouldn't mind at all deleting or editing the bogus posts. I'm not sure what that entails myself, but I assume it wouldn't be too difficult. I didn't intend to create any difficulties for you with my suggestions.

I do appreciate all the work that goes into the Ananda website and your business in general. It's so uncommon to encounter a business that is run with such integrity and with such a high level of customer service.

I am learning so much about "aroma-medicine/ therapy" and it's great to have a trustworthy place to buy what I need.

Thanks for answering my questions!

All The Best,

Sue

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:48 pm

Eric,

Thanks so much for removing all those bogus posts. Let me know if you want some help on that. It seems the forum is growing and developing quite nicely.

All the Best,

Sue

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi Merlin,

I agree with you. We try our best to keep the forum free of those pesky nonsense posts. Some people are relentless though. The only recourse available is to delete the offending posts as soon as possible, which we do, and ban user names and IP addresses.

I have deleted all the offending posts. As you suspected, all but one of those "alphabet soup user name" posts was from the same IP address. I banned the IP address so that any posts from the same computer will be blocked.

Regards,

Sue

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:27 pm
Site Admin

Yes, at some point we'll install a feature that prevents posting with Cyrillic letters...we just want to be careful and be sure the forums keep running once they're installed :)

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi Merlin,

For some reason, in the last couple of weeks, quite a number of "people" have been posting "garbage" messages across multiple forums. I must have deleted 50 or 60 messages in the past week alone. I have been banning the user names, email addresses and IP addresses immediately, but I too, am getting a bit discouraged by this. I don't know what can be done to stop this...

Maybe Eric can figure something out.

All The Best,

Sue

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for your suggestions. Let's see what Eric thinks and go from there. I just banned a bunch of those bores and deleted about 20+ messages trying to keep this forum from being overrun by these rude idiots.

All The Best,

Sue

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]