The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Hair Shampoo for dark brown hair 

Post Hair Shampoo for dark brown hair
Do you have any recipes for hair shampoo and conditioners? Thank you

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:05 pm
Post Re: Hair Shampoo for dark brown hair
Hi mrscs -- I don't, but one of the staff has an incredible background in natural hair care. Anything else about it? Dry/oily/brittle -- or in perfectly good shape and you'd like to keep it that way?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:22 pm
Site Admin

Hi mrscs,

As of yet, no, sorry -- we WILL be not only posting recipes for shampoos and conditioners for different hair types, but offering the complete products themselves.

What I DO suggest is, if you have a conditioner you're happy with, is to add .25% -- more or less -- Ylang Ylang complete essential oil to it. In all the literature, it is the essential oil recommended for dark, lustrous hair.

.25% would be 6ml in 8 ounces of conditioner. That's 180 drops. Now, I haven't tried this myself, and I know our Ylang Ylang is very high quality, pure and potent -- you can adjust down depending on your response to the aroma. This may be really strong aromatically, but I do expect everyone will say "you smell fantastic!"

Hope this helps --- let me know if you have further questions in this regard.

Thanks!

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:08 am
HI Guys,
Thanks. I will be looking forward to the shampoo and conditioners when they come out. I just want to get away from all of the chemicals in the regular shampoos on the market. My hair is very curly and fairly dry with ok color. I have spent many years coloring and have stopped now. As with curly hair the first is the best for curl and no frizze. I try to wash it only once every 5 days. The inbetween days I need a very light conditioner to help with the frizze.
Thank you
Christine

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:41 am

A hair tea with dried horsetail and fresh sage works well for me. If you can find some blue malva that is a nice addition. I let it cool and add a little apple cider vinegar as a final rinse for my humungous super curly afro. That really seems to seal it and reduce frizz.

You'll indeed smell beautiful with a head full of Ylang. I find it to be a little too much for me in a bigger dose, but I add a few drops to it with vanilla essential oil in a base of grapeseed and a teeny tiny bit of shea butter as a hair pomade and it is great!
I smooth a little over my hair (less than a dime size amt) once or twice a week to give it a nice shine.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:51 pm
Both men and women experience hair problems like dandruff and hair dryness. They can apply essential oil together with their shampoo. Massaging your shampoo together with diluted essential oil is a simple aromatherapy for our hair care.

hope it can help =)

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:04 am
Site Admin

Scalp massage with certain carrier oils and essential oils can certainly strengthen follicles, and help one enhance their hair's beauty overall.

Virgin Coconut oil has been recommended for this for literally hundreds of years, perhaps thousands. In Ayurvedic medicine, this was recommended as a treatment for thinning hair.

Now with more science coming out, it seems to be the combination of Coconut's properties which produce the effect. It is of course deeply hydrating, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory. It's also nutritive, as consumption of 1-2 tablespoons per day of the oil is supposed to improve not only the appearance of skin and hair, but may actually increase mental function (supplimentation may increase brain cells and neuron growth by 3% per day -- and when taken with hempseed oil at the same time, this number jumps to 6%!)

For most folks with a "normal" scalp (no particular medical condition) it appears the anti-inflammatory aspect is important, along with the massage. The point is to increase blood flow to the hair follicles. Thinning hair is closely associated with poor circulation in the scalp, as well as inflammation around the follicles themselves (inflammation is a result of many things -- diet, environment, stress...) And these conditions will generally limit the potential beauty of one's hair.

Further, some carrier oils are more potently anti-inflammatory, and others stimulate growth of new tissue (like the scalp and its follicles). Tamanu Oil appears to do these both, and Borage Seed is a well-researched anti-inflammatory oil.

I personally try to do at least a 10 minute massage with Virgin Coconut, Borage and Tamanu oils daily (and maybe sometimes including Rosehip Seed). Sometimes I'll apply a few drops of essential oil after feeling the carrier oils have been worked into the scalp. Helichrysum (anti-inflammatory, regenerative, and circulation enhancing) is often my first choice (5 or so drops). I'll also use Sea Buckthorn, Carrot Root and/or Rosehip essential oil -- these have flavenoids and vitamin-A compounds that aid in stimulating a healthy scalp even faster (similar to the way Retin-A both reduces wrinkles, AND speeds regrowth of hair for those who have found theirs to be thinning).

This seems to be effective in stopping hair loss, and expect a regular scalp massage with these oils will enhance the beauty of anyone's hair.
:D

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]