October 22, 2012
All Organic, Truly Natural Sunscreen & Summer 'Intensive' Therapy Formulas
Formulated and tested by the skin-care pros at Ananda we now have Sun Radiance Intensive and Sun Radiance before-and-after-sun care.
We haven't used over-the-counter sunscreen in years, as these two formulas work so very well! We use Sun Radiance before heading out, and Sun Radiance Intensive after you're back in the door. These blends are so amazing for skin protection & repair, we use them all year long. Both formulas directly address the 'cornerstones' of skin aging: oxidation and inflammation with a complex synergy of amazing ingredients.
What's In Sun Radiance and Sun Radiance Intensive?
How do These Ingredients Work Together for Your Skin's Health?
Sun Radiance includes:
- Organic Sea Buckthorn CO2, Carrot Root CO2 and Rosehip CO2. These Supercritical CO2 extracts are all rich in deep-red phyto-nutrients your skin loves. Each of these oils has its own unique nutrient profile, supporting skin protection and repair. Every one of these CO2's alone has been shown to reduce appearance of fine lines and improve skin texture. Together, they're an absolute powerhouse. The value of the CO2-extracted oils in these blends cannot be overstated, as the extraction method draws nutrients from the plants at cool temperatures. This distillation method results in a wider range of the plant’s phyto-nutrients in the oils, making these deeply-colored oils so effective.
- Organic German Chamomile CO2 is a potent anti-inflammatory extract.* Damage caused by oxidative radicals results in inflammation. Quelling this inflammation is key to an exceptional complexion!
- Organic Rosemary Antioxidant CO2 is one of the most dynamic anti-oxidants known, capturing each of the 7 classes of oxidative radicals.
- Wildcrafted Sandalwood essential oil has been positively researched for it's anti-skin-cancer potential.*
- These CO2's and essential oils are based in tropical Tamanu Nut oil (known to stimulate development of new skin cells) and our organic Super Skin Care carrier oils of Evening Primrose (for inflammation), Rosehip Seed, Argan (for hydration), Pomegranate seed and virgin Coconut (Rosehip & Pomegranate also increase skin cell proliferation).*
Our 'Intensive' adds Helichrysum and Lavender essential oils which are thought to enhance skin cell regeneration and lessen inflammation - which is really the BIG thing with sun exposure: inflammation, inflammation, inflammation! Plus, we've added Calendula CO2 extract, which has been used, well, FOREVER, for its skin-healing potential. We think you're going to love it!
About UV Sun Damage, Skin Aging & Antioxidants
Ready for a little 'technical' info? Do you know WHY UV rays aren't so good for skin cells? Here's what happens: A UV light photon 'knocks' an electron from its orbit within your skin; this creates an 'oxidative radical', which then wants to rob other cells to 'quench' the loss of its electron. But we sure don't want that!!! And oxidative damage doesn't happen just from the Sun–it happens naturally over time from foods we eat and exposure from environmental pollutants.
Rosemary CO2 is SPECIFICALLY extracted for its unique anti-oxidant action: it is the only known compound to quench EVERY one of the seven classes of oxidative radicals. (We'll skip the chemistry and just let you know that we actually put this in capsules to take as a supplement for this purpose. Note it is NOT an essential oil, but a CO2 extract meant only to derive the strong anti-oxidant properties from the plant).
The value of the CO2-distilled oils in these blends cannot be overstated. This distillation method results in a wider-range of the plant's phyto-nutrients in the oils, making these deeply-colored oils so effective.
It's these colored components of the oils which impart their diverse antioxidant and regenerative properties to the skin. These compounds can help stop, or at least slow, the aging process that is caused by excessive sun exposure. Sea Buckthorn oil was even studied by the Soviet space agency for use by cosmonauts to protect their skin from UV rays in space! Rosehip Seed oil was thoroughly studied in the 1980's for its ability to reverse the signs of sun damage in the skin with continued use.
The CO2 has a MUCH higher concentration of regenerative, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients than Rosehip Seed carrier oil itself.
Sea Buckthorn oil has a long history of use in skin care, and perhaps even more ancient in beauty-blends is Calendula. In addition to Carrot Root, ALL these oils are known for their regenerative properties in skin-healing (as well as their strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties).
Another reason CO2-distilled oils work so well in skin-care is that they are very gentle–your skin won't mind higher concentrations than it may with traditional steam-distilled oils. Using the CO2's, it is absolutely OK to make skin blends with concentrations of 'essential oils' higher than 3%. We actually put these on 'neat' sometimes, though our skin get's a little crazy-colored for a while :)
The powerful antioxidants in these CO2 oils, as we've noted, stop the damaging oxidation process by donating an electron to the oxidative radical. There are several 'classes' of oxidative radicals, and that's one reason a blend of antioxidant oils can be useful. Depending on where this electron gets 'bumped' from, a different 'class' of oxidative radical is produced.
Inflammation is the other aspect of sun-damage we'd like to prevent. German chamomile CO2, and carrier oils such as virgin Coconut are also known for their anti-inflammatory activity (as are, actually, all of the oils included in these blends, yet the Chamomile may be the strongest).
Apply Sun Radiance before, and the 'Intensive' after sun exposure, and perhaps again later in the day for best results. You may find your skin turns a little red while the antioxidants absorb, but it won't take too long!