Caraway Seed CO2
- Distillation Method:
- Plant Part:
- Latin Name:
- Carum carvi
- Naturally Grown
About the Oil: Caraway, supercritical CO2 distilled in Europe from Caraway Seeds. This is a truly fine oil, smelling like a fresh loaf of rye bread. It is an excellent addition to digestive formulas and blends for the respiratory system.
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
Caraway is a multi-branched biennial herb that stands less than a meter in height and is part of the Umbelliferae family. This family contains over 3,000 species throughout the world with an unusual concentration of healing plants such as Angelica, Anise, Carrot, and Parsley. Native to Europe, Siberia and North Africa, Caraway has been used by humans for over 8,000 years.
ABOUT THE OIL
This Caraway essential oil is extracted from naturally grown Carum carvi seeds using a low temperature CO2 process. This distillation method retains all the therapeutic properties of this complex oil.
Caraway seed has been used for centuries as a spice in bread making, cheese making, cured meats, pickles, sauces and seasonings. The ancient Romans were noted for using it. Herbal lore has it that a regular intake of caraway oil is said to protect from all ailments and diseases and keep one healthy and young.
- increases appetite
- settles digestion
- increases absorption in the intestines
- promotes normal peristalsis
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- promotes urination
- helps maintain kidney action
- supports a healthy immune response
- neutralizes microbes
- firms and contracts exposed tissue
- prevents moisture loss
- tones and restores venous circulation
- promotes the healing of tissues
- aids in the expulsion of mucous
- stimulates the bronchi
- quells coughs
- promotes the flow of Qi
- relieves mental strain and emotional fatique
- Inhalation of the oil through a diffuser is recommended for respiratory issues and as a psychological aid. It can help establish grounding and stability, boost selfconfidence as well as counteract mental and emotional fatigue.
- Dilute Caraway essential oil for use on the reflex points of the feet for the digestive system or respiratory system. This application is excellent for children. Also use in formulas for massage of the digestive and/or chest area.
- Ingestion of the oil in small amounts should be safe.
This essential oil of Caraway is light in viscosity and pale clear yellow in color. The aroma has a distinct, freshly green and seedy top note, a white pepper middle note with a slightly roasted undertone.
It is reminiscent of anise and freshly-baked German rye bread and blends well with Cinnamon, Coriander, Frankincense, Ginger, Basil, Jasmine, Cinnamon, Lavender, Tangerine and Cassia. However, the aroma can be overpowering for oils with more subtle aromas.
Caraway seed oil is considered non-toxic and non-sensitizing, however it should not be used on the skin undiluted as it has been known to irritate mucous membranes. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.