Citronella Essential Oil
- Distillation Method:
- Country of Origin:
- Plant Part:
- Latin Name:
- Cymbopogon winterianus
- Certified Organic
About the Oil: This Java Winteranius species steam distilled from organic Citronella grass leaves has high levels of cintronellal and citronellol which give its distinct aroma, insect repellant ability and therapeutic actions.
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
A tall, aromatic, perennial grass originally native to Sri Lanka, the winterianus varietal is cultivated for essential oil production in many tropical climates such as Africa, Argentina and Vietnam.
ABOUT THE OIL
Citronella Essential Oil is commonly known for its natural insect repellent properties, though it has many other uses in aromatherapy. Our Citronella is steam distilled and is known as Java Citronella. It has a fresh, powerful, lemon-like scent and is higher in citronellal and citronellol than the Ceylon or nardus variety. This means that the antiseptic and antimicrobial actions will be more powerful and therefore the deodorizing effects will also be more effective.
Citronella is the key ingredient for many insect repellents as it kills and keeps away insects including lice, fleas, and ticks. It has been found particularly effective on a species of mosquito, called Aedes Aegypti whose bite causes Yellow Fever.
In Chinese medicine it is considered to have warming and 'activating' qualities on both mental and physical levels.
- neutralizes microbes
- discourages oversweating
- reduces body temperature
- neutralizes insects / fungi
- neutralizes parasites
- settles digestion
- increases absorption in the intestines
- promotes normal peristalsis
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- promotes urination
- helps maintain kidney action
- relaxes cramping
- diminishes swelling
- eases discomfort
- strengthens the NERVOUS SYSTEM
- helps alleviate stress and nervous tension
- helps alleviate fatigue
- promotes and regulates menstruation
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- Use Citronella in a Diffuser or sprinkle a few drops on tissue paper and place by a window as an insect repellent.
- Diffuse for mental balance and clarifying. Citronella uplifts the spirit while purifying the atmosphere and energy of any space. it gives relief from anxiety, sadness, and negativity by inducing a fresh, happy, hopeful feeling.
- massage, bath, SKIN CARE
- Citronella may help with oily skin and excessive perspiration.
- Add a few drops to a teaspoon of carrier oil and rub into sore joints and muscles.
- Citronella can be stimulating, clarifying and balancing for the mind.
- Citronella stimulates blood circulation, secretions and discharges like hormones and enzymes from the glands, brain and the NERVOUS SYSTEM so it can support healthy immune and metabolic function.
- Minor internal infections (respiratory, urinary) can be quelled with a diluted ingestion on a daily basis.
Citronella's fresh lemon-grass top note gives way to a minty middle note and deep, medicinal and herbaceous undertones.
It uplifts the spirit while purifying the atmosphere and energy of a space. Combining Citronella with Lemon essential oil can bring even more of a mentally uplifting effect and equally enhances the effectiveness against mosquitoes.
Eucalyptus can be added to enhance the warming effect, or Lavender can be added to bring a soothing balance.
A non-toxic, non-irritant, Citronella can cause dermatitis in some cases, so it is recommended to test a small patch of skin before applying liberally.
Always test a small amount of essential oil first for sensitivity or allergic reaction. If pregnant, use under a doctor's care.