Fir Needle (Douglas) Essential Oil
- Distillation Method:
- Country of Origin:
- United States (WA)
- Plant Part:
- Latin Name:
- Pseudotsuga menziesii
- Wild Grown
About the Oil: This Douglas Fir Needle essential oil is a uniquely green and resinous Fir oil that stimulates the immune system with strong antimicrobial properties helping to support recovery from colds and flu.
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
Douglas Fir trees are not a single species, as there are approximately 50 different species of Douglas Firs that thrive throughout the Northern Hemisphere. Many Douglas Firs are endemic to North America and are often used to complement garden landscapes. Pseudotsuga menzies is a coniferous, evergreen tree with scaly bark. It's needles are pointed with two sides, and do not roll between fingers, because they are flat spreading or drooping branches. Douglas Fir can reach heights of 120 meters (394 ft). Douglas Firs are most closely related to cedars.
ABOUT THE OIL
Fir needle essential oils share many therapeutic and aromatic characteristics. We've found Siberian and Balsam Firs to be very similar but this Douglas Fir to be uniquely outstanding in its depth and complexity. It is a beautiful distillation of Douglas Fir, incredibly rich, with green, sweet resinous notes not found in other needle oils.
In the past, Native peoples of North America used Douglas Firs both for nourishment and medicinal purposes.
- neutralizes microbes
- encourages sweating
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- relieves muscular tension and aching joints
- lessens headaches due to congestion
- quells coughs
- aids in the expulsion of mucous
- stimulates the bronchi
- relaxes cramping
- eases discomfort
- decreases unpleasant sensory experiences
- soothes sore muscles, tendons and joints
- diminishes swelling
- increases local blood circulation
- promotes urination
- helps maintain kidney action
- assists in cleansing and detoxifying the body
- helps to restore depleted adrenal glands
- calms the nervous system
- lessens anxiety
- reduces stress
- improves mood
- strengthens the nervous system
- helps alleviate nervous tension
- This oil is opening and elevating yet grounding, which makes it excellent for yoga and meditation.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer, steam inhalation
- The fir needle oils, and evergreen needle oils in general, are highly prized for their uplifting aroma. Further, they share properties of supporting relief of breathing conditions, opening airways, and having anti-infectious properties for the respiratory system.
- This Douglas Fir is in a class by itself aromatically. It has unique green and resinous notes we've not found in other fir or needle oils. It can easily be used in a diffuser by itself, or blended with other needle oils for a dramatic "deep forest" effect.
- massage, compress, bath, ointment
- Dilute Douglas Fir essential oil to less than 10% in your favorite carrier oil and massage into sore muscles and joints.
Our Douglas Fir Needle essential oil is a middle-top note with a piney-woody aroma with incredibly rich, green, sweet resinous notes.
Douglas Fir Needle Essential Oil blends well with: Pine oil, Cedarwood oil, Lavender oil, Frankincense oil, Lemon oil, Blue Chamomile oil, Myrtle oil, Galbanum, Benzoin, Lavandin, Rosemary.
For accurately measuring oils, see our Drops per mL page.
Generally non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.
If pregnant or under a doctor's care, consult your physician.