can you injest Tamanu oil?

General discussion on your experience has been with essential oils, what has worked and what may not, and questions by those who have yet to try certain essential oils and techniques
smiiley

can you injest Tamanu oil?

Post by smiiley » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:59 pm

I sometimes use Ravensara if I feel a cold sore coming on on my lip. In the past, I used jojoba as the carrier.

After reading your latest blog info, I made a 5% Ravensara using Tamanu as the carrier oil for topical use. Would it be safe for me to use this combination on my lip, too? Is it safe to injest minor amounts of Tamanu?

Ananda Staff
Site Admin

Re: can you injest Tamanu oil?

Post by Ananda Staff » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:24 pm

I frequently apply to my lips -- there's no harm in ingesting a little bit. I have yet to hear of ingestion of larger quantities, despite all the resent research I've looked into (see the Tamanu science update blog post if you haven't yet).

With all those positive aspects, I can't see it being unhealthy, but this is still a guess. It might not taste so hot. There doesn't seem to be mention anywhere of any components that pose health risks -- if anyone is aware of any, we'd be happy to hear!