Clarification on ideal % eo concentration

For example, how do you figure out a 3% concentration of your essential oil in 29 milliliters of carrier oil?
Any and all questions by those needing a little help, and sharing by those who've been there :)
Crackwillow

Clarification on ideal % eo concentration

Post by Crackwillow » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi,
I understand how to get to desired % concentration of any essential using Ananda's fantastic chart. Now I need to clarify, if it's ideal for most skincare blends to be at about 3% concentration, this means total for all essential oils in your blend? Or can I have 3% of a few different oils in one blend?

Additionally, for oils that are appropriate to use neat should one ignore the concentrations and just add however much you want to a blend, or could this be counter-productive in some cases?

Thanks so much!!!

merlin

Re: Clarification on ideal % eo concentration

Post by merlin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:27 pm

3% refers to the total amount of essential oils relative to the size of the bottle, whether one or several. Less is more, for the most part, so you might increase the percentage some, especially in terms of fragrance, but not based on whether they can be applied neat. For example, Schnaubelt recommends about a 1.5% dilution of helichrysum for eliminating scars and such.

I use a bit over 6% in my skincare formula, but 3.5% for a facial lotion.

Crackwillow

Re: Clarification on ideal % eo concentration

Post by Crackwillow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:24 am

Thanks,that is really helpful!