Poison Ivy Rash

There are so many choices, and they're easily made if the conditions aren't too complex. Share your success and ask your questions here.
*ether*

Poison Ivy Rash

Post by *ether* » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Anyone have any success using oils to alleviate the itchyness and inflammation of the skin associated with poison ivy?

Ananda Staff
Site Admin

Re: Poison Ivy Rash

Post by Ananda Staff » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:24 pm

Blue tansy is typically recommended for things like insect bites and other irritations of the skin. Tamanu and/or virgin coconut oil as a carrier may both also help. Simple lavender may even do the trick, but Blue Tansy is the first that comes to mind -- from a lot of research on essential oils and skin care.

Blue tansy is recommended for allergic reactions, and may be the best choice because poison ivy is somewhat of an allergen.

Other oils to consider (the percentage is if you only used them alone in carrier - 1% is 35 drops essential oil per ounce of base):
German Chamomile (2%)
Cape Chamomile (3-5%)
Sea Buchthorn (3-5%)
Calendula (1%)

I've been able to apply blue tansy "neat" on small areas without a problem -- for larger areas, a carrier should be used, and again, both Tamanu and virgin coconut are very anti-inflammatory and soothing. :)

*ether*

Re: Poison Ivy Rash

Post by *ether* » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:22 am

Eric,

I'm a little confused, I thought a 1% concentration of essential oils is 11 drops per ounce of base?