Geranium Essential Oil
- Distillation Method:
- Country of Origin:
- Plant Part:
- Flowers, Flowering Tops and Leaves
- Latin Name:
- Pelargonium graveolens
- Certified Organic
About the Oil: As well as having a balancing effect on the mind and emotions, this uplifting essential oil has a great allover balancing property which extends all the way out to the skin.
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
Often planted around the home for protection, beauty, and aroma, Geranium is a familiar perennial shrub that grows in stands between three four feet high in herb gardens. The shrub has pointed leaves that are serrated at the edges and hosts delightful pink to white flowers. The name Geranium derives from the Greek word geranos or ‘crane' because the seed pods resemble the shape of crane's bills.
The plants originated from South Africa, as well as Egypt, Madagascar, and Morocco, and were introduced to European countries such as Italy, Spain and France in the 17th century. Although there are nearly 700 different varieties of Geranium only ten of these supply essential oil in viable quantities and only the scented varieties of Pelargonium are used for the essential oil. Geranium essential oil was first distilled in 1819 for use in the French perfume industry for ‘rose geranium oil'.
ABOUT THE OIL
Our Geranium essential oil is steam distilled from the tops and flowers of plants organically grown South Africa. The oil is a light 'peridot' green with an aroma that is rich, almost “spicy, incredibly fresh, complex and full-bodied. It is also a sub-species of Pelargonium graviolens, called "x asperum", especially known for its anti-microbial properties.
There are in fact two species of Pelargonium distilled to essential oil: 'graveolens', which is the common Geranium, and 'roseum' or 'Rose Geranium' oil. Rose Geranium is high in geraniol with a more rose-like aroma than this 'graveolens' species that produces an oil with a higher citronellol content, and a correspondingly more citrus-noted aroma.
Best when steam distilled, Geranium essential oil is a great balancer. Use confidently in blends to balance the heaven and earth qualities of other oils.
First used as an elixir for anxiety, Geranium was used by the ancestors as a remedy for wounds and skin care.
- neutralizes microbes
- reduces redness
- diminishes swelling
- balances the production of sebum
- helps stop or prevent bleeding
- helps heal burns and wounds
- encourages cell regeneration
- firms and contracts exposed tissue
- prevents moisture loss
- tones and restores venous circulation
- promotes the healing of tissues
- reduces scarring
- minimizes stretch marks
- repels insects (especially mosquitos and lice)
- neutralizes fungi
- Indicated for: dry skin, mature skin, oily skin, combination skin, acne, dermatitis, wounds, nonserious burns, bruises, eczema, psoriasis, hemorrhoids, varicose veins, cellulite
- neutralizes microbes
- relaxes cramping
- encourages sweating
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- relieves muscular tension and aching joints
- lessens headaches due to congestion
- helps maintain healthy kidney function
- supports adrenal cortex
- stimulates the lymph system
- stimulates the adrenal cortex (regulating and balancing hormones)
- relieves symptoms of PMS
- relieves symptoms of menopause
- improves mood
- helps to regulate the nervous system
- calms the nervous system
- lessens anxiety
- reduces stress
- relieves tension
- In TCM, Geranium is one of the few essential oils which is be considered cool and moist in energy. The oil clears heat and inflammation, relaxes the nerves, and calms feelings of anxiety. It also has the ability to strengthen Qi energy
- Harmonic and balancing, Geranium can be used for spiritual practice and meditation as it assists one in connecting to the intuition and wisdom messages of the heart. This naturally lead to an increased capacity for intimate and open communication between body, mind, and spirit.
- Geranium essential oil has the quality of equalizing hormonal and emotional extremes. Known familiarly as the ‘flower of constancy', Geranium helps to lift the spirits and helps to bring joy and happiness to one's daily activity.
- Known for its support in releasing negative and disharmonious memories, Geranium eases nervous tension and stress and is balancing to the emotions, thus lifting the spirits, and fostering a sense of peace and well being. Indicated for those who feel the downward spiral of depression and for those whose lives are ‘lacking color', the essential oil is celebrated for its ability to lift worry and anxiety. This clearing and dispelling of stagnant energy can be helpful for those who need the motivation and strength to bring their visions and projects into manifestation. These properties make it an ideal essential oil for stress-related problems such as headaches, stomach aches, and menstrual cramps.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- As both a sedative and uplifting oil, Geranium's action on the nervous system is pronounced. Similar to both Basil and Rosemary, Geranium is a stimulant of the adrenal cortex, whose hormones are essentially of a balancing nature. Consequently it is indicated when the hormonal system needs balancing. This harmonizing effect on the emotions assists in reducing mood swings, and is helpful in cases of PMS and menopausal discomfort.
- Use in a diffuser to disinfect room air and create a pleasant environment.
- Add a few drops to a nebulizing diffuser or dilute in water to use in a humidifier.
- massage, compress, bath, ointment, skincare
- As well as having a balancing effect on the mind, this uplifting essential oil has a great allover balancing property that also extends to the skin, where it helps to create balance between oily and dry skin. An astringent that is not dying, Geranium is soothing to the mucus membranes of the skin. Balancing the sebum production (the fatty acid secretions of the sebaceous glands) of the skin, Geranium helps to cleanse the skin as well as to restore balance, tone, and suppleness.
- Add to baths or apply to skin in a carrier oil for general skin care. Excellent in massage oil blends – dilute to 10% in your favorite carrier oil.
- Apply directly to the skin or dilute with a non-scented massage oil such as jojoba.
- Listed as : GRAS (the Food and Drug Administration's food additive label: 'Generally Recognized as Safe').
Geranium has a bright, lightly floral aroma, with delicate and intricate notes, that is at the same time rich, almost “spicy, incredibly fresh, complex and full-bodied.
The delicate characteristics of this oil mean that it has the potential to blend well with a wide array of essential oils including: Eucalyptus, Lavender, Clary Sage, Rose, Lime, Orange, Frankincense, Grapefruit, and Ylang Ylang.
Generally non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction. Use caution to avoid use with dermatitis in hypersensitive persons.
Avoid use during pregnancy or when breast-feeding. If intending to ingest this oil, consultation with a physician is recommended.