Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Distillation Method:
- Cold Pressed
- Country of Origin:
- South Africa
- Plant Part:
- Latin Name:
- Citrus paradisi
- Certified Organic
About the Oil: Cold pressed from the peels of ripe grapefruit grown in South Africa, this is some of the most wonderful grapefruit oil we've ever tried. The local climate is ideal for growing of citrus fruit, and we think you'll agree when you sample this!
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
Thought to be a hybridization of sweet orange and pomelo, the Grapefruit tree stands at a maximum height of 10 meters or 32 feet tall. The Pomelo, along with the orange, was brought to Spain from Asia by Arabian traders in the 12th century. It was then packed into the West Indies by Captain Shaddock in the 18th century and from there, made its way to the Americas and was hybridized into the Grapefruit soon thereafter.
ABOUT THE OIL
A beautiful reddish-pink color, our Pink Grapefruit essential oil is from a natural farm where the trees are unsprayed and free of pesticides though not yet organically certified. The Ruby Red is from certified organically grown grapefruit, and has a deep reddish-orange color.
Both Pink and Ruby Red essential oils are obtained by cold-pressing the rinds of grapefruit from South Africa. The cold-press extraction method gently extracts the sweet oil without changing the molecular composition. To retain optimal freshness, Grapefruit essential oil should always be kept cold.
The quality of the fruit and the care taken in harvesting and pressing of the oil seems to play a much more significant role in the final essential oil than the cultivar of Grapefruit. All grapefruits will a have a great, sweet-tart aroma, and the best, as these are, will smell rich and complex.
The essential oil of grapefruit has been used for its nutritional (vitamin C) and anti-infectious properties for centuries. It is also used extensively to flavor soft drinks and is a popular component of soaps and personal care products.
- cleanses oily skin and helping with acne due to its astringent nature.
- firms and contracts exposed tissue
- prevents moisture loss
- tones and restores venous circulation
- promotes the healing of tissues
- indicated for: oily skin, acne, cellulite
- aids in reducing cellulite
- increases the metabolism of adipose tissue
- neutralizes microbes
- diminishes swelling
- stimulates the DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
- helps maintain healthy function of the gall bladder
- settles digestion
- increases absorption in the intestines
- promotes normal peristalsis
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- reduces appetite
- helps maintain healthy liver function
- promotes urination
- helps maintain kidney action
- assists in cleansing and detoxifying the body
- assists in the tissuecleaning action of the LYMPHATIC SYSTEM
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- clears toxins from the body
- improves mood
- calms the NERVOUS SYSTEM
- lessens anxiety
- reduces stress
- strengthens the NERVOUS SYSTEM
- balances a tired and overstimulated NERVOUS SYSTEM.
- In Chinese medicine, Grapefruit is cooling, decongesting, and beneficial for an overheated liver and sluggish LYMPHATIC SYSTEM.
- On psychological and emotional levels, grapefruit is noted to assist in cases of depression where one may tend to overindulge in food or chemicals to pacify their pain. The oil may clear the psychological 'heat' and congestion that result from selfcriticism and blame, promoting a lightness of spirit. Grapefruit is refreshing, cheering, slightly euphoriainducing and slightly energizing. Its sweet and familiar aroma can evoke warm feelings that melt sour dispositions.
Like many of the citrus oils, Grapefruit has a unique 'fat dissolving' characteristic. This is the essential oil most noted for use in reducing cellulite, (it can be used by itself, or in a carrier and massaged into affected areas) and can be included in massage blends for this application. It has been shown in laboratory studies to increase the metabolism of adipose tissue (fat cells).
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- To assist in weight loss, try this blend: Grapefruit, Sweet Orange and Lemon. The oils in this recipe are formulated in a 1:1:1 ratio. Mix and inhale deeply whenever you desire. The uplifting, releasing effect can help bring a positive emotional and mental state, helping you curb the craving to eat when things get hectic!
- massage, compress, bath, skincare
- Grapefruit essential oil is a "releasing" oil, so personalities that tend to harbor resentment or keep emotions bottled up can benefit from inhaling it. For a emotional 'release' blend, try this in a diffuser or diluted in a carrier oil and applied topically: 18 drops Grapefruit, 1 drop Bergamot oil, 1 drop Rose Otto.
- It is also very useful for cleansing oily skin and helping with acne due to its astringent nature. Dilute in a carrier oil before using on the face.
- For cellulite reduction it can be massaged into targeted areas neat or in a carrier oil.
- Grapefruit essential oil can be taken internally. Dilute in water.
This Pink Grapefruit essential oil has a, sweet citrus top note followed by a floral, musty middle note and green, herbaceous undertones.
Both the Pink and the Ruby Red Grapefruit essential oils have a fresh, sweet citrus top note followed by a floral, musty middle note and green, herbaceous undertones with the red being and slightly deeper in the middle.
Blends well with Basil, Palmarosa and Rosewood; florals such as Geranium, Chamomile, Jasmine, Lavender and Ylang-Ylang; citrus oils including Lime, Mandarin, Bergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain, and Lemon.
Generally non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction. Note that like other citrus oils, grapefruit is photosensitizing – this will make the skin more sensitive to UV light. If applying to skin that will be exposed to sunlight within the following 48 hours, keep the dilution to 1% or less. Exposure to sunlight should be limited for 24 hours where it has been applied to the skin.
If pregnant consult with a physician prior to use.