Melissa (Germany) Essential Oil
- Distillation Method:
- Country of Origin:
- Plant Part:
- Leaves and Tops
- Latin Name:
- Melissa officinalis
- Certified Organic
About the Oil: Melissa oil is considered one of the most powerfully medicinal essential oils in all of aromatherapy, with a wonderfully pleasant, sweet, herbaceous aroma.
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
The word 'Melissa' is Greek for 'Honey Bee', as this perennial herb was planted near beehives to promote complex notes in honey production. Melissa officinalis is twiggy and reaches heights of 23 inches with serrated leaves and extremely small pink, white or yellow flowers. Also known as 'Lemon Balm' and 'Bee Balm', Melissa is a native to the Mediterranean region and is now in abundant cultivation throughout the world.
ABOUT THE OIL
A great deal of oil sold as Melissa today is actually a blend of lemongrass and citronella oils – 'true' Melissa oil has its own unique aroma and properties. Melissa's high cost is a result of needing 3.5 to 7.5 tons of plant material to produce 1 pound of essential oil. The resulting oil from this sweet-smelling herb is a pale yellow liquid with a light, fresh lemony aroma. Melissa oil offered at exceptionally low prices is likely to be adulterated in some way, and will not have the medicinal properties of the true essential oil.
Melissa was called the 'elixir of life' by Avincenna, the great Persian polymath. The herb was particularly associated with nervous disorders, the heart, and emotions and was used for anxiety, melancholy, and to strengthen and revive the vital spirit.
- neutralizes microbes
- Indicated for: oily skin, acne
- neutralizes microbes
- encourages deep breathing
- helps maintain healthy function of the gall bladder
- reduces the incidence and severity of vomiting and nausea
- settles digestion
- increases absorption in the intestines
- promotes normal peristalsis
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- regulates the DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
- stimulates the liver
- decreases blood circulation
- helps to relieve stress
- relaxes cramping
- eases discomfort
- decreases unpleasant sensory experiences
- calms the NERVOUS SYSTEM
- lessens anxiety
- reduces stress
- improves mood
- promotes sleep
- alleviates restlessness
- Melissa is cooling and drying and is indicated for stagnation of Qi and for reducing heat in the liver and heart.
- Melissa is very gentle on the emotions, and can bring out this quality in an individual. Calming and uplifting, it may relieve headaches and help balance the emotions. Further, it may help release emotional blocks and lead to an improved outlook on life.
- Melissa essential oil is recommended for the heart chakra and can be used to expand feelings of love towards the total acceptance of unconditional love. It provides great comfort during bereavement and promotes the sensitivity and intuition to help us find inner contentment and strengthen the ‘wisdom of the heart'.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- massage, ointment, skincare
- Useful for oily skin and acne, Melissa essential oil should be highly diluted in skincare.
This Melissa essential oil has a sweet lemon top note, grassy and minted middle notes with an undertone of balsamic and Cedarwood.
Melissa oil blends well with: Geranium Oil, Lavender Oil, Orange Oil and Lemon Oil.
Generally non-toxic, but a possible sensitizer and dermal irritant. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.
If pregnant consult with a physician prior to use.