Nutmeg (Organic) Essential Oil
- Distillation Method:
- Country of Origin:
- Plant Part:
- Latin Name:
- Myristica fragrans
- Certified Organic
About the Oil: We've sampled nutmeg essential oils from many countries, and find this in oil in both aromatic intensity and 'spicy complexity' to be the finest.*
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
Rarely found as a wild plant because of its popularity as a spice, Nutmeg is a tall evergreen tree, native to the Moluccas and nearby islands growing up to 20 meters in height with a greyish-brown smooth bark, dense foliage and small dull-yellow flowers. Now cultivated in Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Grenada, all parts of the tree are aromatic. It produces fleshy fruit with a bright red husk commercially called ""mace"" that encases the seeds. Dried, pulverized mace is a well-known household spice.
ABOUT THE OIL
Nutmeg essential oil is produced by steam-distillation of the freshly powdered, dried nutmegs. While sampling many Nutmeg essential oils and CO2's, we have found this steam distilled oil to have the brightest and most complete aroma with a warm, earthy-spiciness.
Nutmeg and mace have been used as culinary spices in all corners of the world for many centu-ries. It was first recorded in Sanskrit as jai phal and believed to be brought to Europe by Arab traders. As with most well known spices, it has a long history of medicinal use as well. Typically Nutmeg essential oil is used for digestive issues.
- protects cells against oxidative damage
- neutralizes microbes
- eases discomfort
- decreases unpleasant sensory experiences
- relaxes cramping
- diminishes swelling
- soothes sore muscles
- digestive stimulant
- reduces the incidence and severity of vomiting and nausea
- settles digestion
- increases absorption in the intestines
- promotes normal peristalsis
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- increases appetite
- increases sexual desire
- enhances sexual performance
- promotes and regulates menstruation
- normalizes and regulates systems of the body
- enables the body to deal with stress
- improves mood
- focuses the mind
- Aromatically, Nutmeg essential oil is uplifting and energizing. It is extremely effective in cases of adrenalfatigue and support for a tired NERVOUS SYSTEM. As a mental stimulant, the aroma is calming and focusing, while providing comforting energy. Nutmeg essential oil stimulates the mind yet eases overwhelm.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- Diffuse for mental stimulation and to support the NERVOUS SYSTEM.
- massage, compress, bath, ointment, skincare
- Therapeutically, the oil is regarded as a digestive stimulant, it can be employed in a massage blend for the abdominal region, and may help those with poor or weak digestive 'fire'.
- Nutmeg is an excellent choice for warming blends for joints and sore muscles. It may be combined with Ginger for a more dramatic warming effect, though one should reduce the overall concentration of essential oil in these blends to 5% or less.
- The fragrance is comforting and stimulating and may be applied to the bottoms of the feet, or elsewhere on the body when diluted in a carrier oil.
Exotic and sensual, warm and radiant, spicy and sweet, we have found this steam distilled oil to have the brightest and most complete aroma profile.
Nutmeg essential oil blends well with: Bay Leaf, Orange, Geranium, Clary Sage, Rosemary, Lime, Petitgrain, Mandarin, Coriander and other culinary spice oils.
Generally non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.
If pregnant consult with a physician prior to use.