Geranium (Rose) Essential Oil
- Distillation Method:
- Country of Origin:
- Plant Part:
- Flowers, Flowering Tops and Leaves
- Latin Name:
- Pelargonium roseum
- Wild Grown
About the Oil: As well as having a balancing effect on the mind and emotions, this uplifting essential oil has a great allover balancing property which extends all the way out to the skin. This Rose Geranium essential oil has potent, broad ranging therapeutic effects and floral rosy notes.
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
Often planted around the home for protection, beauty, and aroma, Geranium is a familiar perennial shrub that grows in stands between three four feet high in herb gardens. The shrub has pointed leaves that are serrated at the edges and hosts delightful pink to white flowers. The name Geranium derives from the Greek word geranos or ‘crane' because the seed pods resemble the shape of crane's bills.
The plants originated from South Africa, as well as Egypt, Madagascar, and Morocco, and were introduced to European countries such as Italy, Spain and France in the 17th century. Although there are nearly 700 different varieties of Geranium only ten of these supply essential oil in viable quantities and only the scented varieties of Pelargonium are used for the essential oil. Geranium essential oil was first distilled in 1819 for use in the French perfume industry for ‘rose geranium oil'.
ABOUT THE OIL
There are in fact two species of Pelargonium distilled to essential oil: this 'roseum' species which produces Rose Geranium oil, high in geraniol with a more rose-like aroma, and the 'graveolens' species which produces an oil with a higher citronellol content and correspondingly citrus-like aroma. This essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves and flowers of wild grown Rose Geranium plants grown in Albania.
Best when steam distilled, Geranium essential oil is a great balancer. Use confidently in blends to balance the heaven and earth qualities of other oils.
Geranium oil has been used since the 17th century as a general tonic, brightener for the mind, fungicide, perfume and skin care agent.
- In TCM, Geranium is one of the few essential oils which is be considered cool and moist in energy. The oil clears heat and inflammation, relaxes the nerves, and calms feelings of anxiety. It also has the ability to strengthen Qi energy
- Malte Hozzel on Rose Geranium Essential Oil: "Geranium's vital, sensual presence is not subtle, but direct and unavoidable, making it one of the oils of choice for aphrodisiac qualities. [It] inspires natural beauty & enjoyment, uplifts instantly and "tonifies" the mind and intellect in a powerful, nearly demanding attitude. Mobilizing hidden creative and emotional reserves, helping us to rise to our own earthly and spiritual identity. A fiery beauty for the spells of all worlds."
- Harmonic and balancing, Geranium can be used for spiritual practice and meditation as it assists one in connecting to the intuition and wisdom messages of the heart. This naturally leads to an increased capacity for intimate and open communication between body, mind, and spirit.
- Geranium essential oil has the quality of equalizing hormonal and emotional extremes. Known familiarly as the ‘flower of constancy', Geranium helps to lift the spirits and helps to bring joy and happiness to one's daily activity.
- Known for its support in releasing negative and disharmonious memories, Geranium eases nervous tension and stress and is balancing to the emotions, thus lifting the spirits, and fostering a sense of peace and well being. Indicated for those who feel the downward spiral of depression and for those whose lives are ‘lacking color', the essential oil is celebrated for its ability to lift worry and anxiety. This clearing and dispelling of stagnant energy can be helpful for those who need the motivation and strength to bring their visions and projects into manifestation.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- As both a sedative and uplifting oil, Geranium's action on the nervous system is pronounced. Similar to both Basil and Rosemary, Geranium is a stimulant of the adrenal cortex, whose hormones are essentially of a balancing nature. Consequently it is indicated when the hormonal system needs balancing. This harmonizing effect on the emotions assists in reducing mood swings, and is helpful in cases of PMS and menopausal discomfort.
- Use in a diffuser to disinfect room air and create a pleasant environment.
- Add a few drops to a nebulizing diffuser or dilute in water to use in a humidifier.
- massage, compress, bath, ointment, skincare
- As well as having a balancing effect on the mind, this uplifting essential oil has a great allover balancing property that also extends to the skin, where it helps to create balance between oily and dry skin. An astringent that is not dying, Geranium is soothing to the mucus membranes of the skin. Balancing the sebum production (the fatty acid secretions of the sebaceous glands) of the skin, Geranium helps to cleanse the skin as well as to restore balance, tone, and suppleness.
- Add to baths or apply to skin in a carrier oil for general skin care. Excellent in massage oil blends – dilute to 10% in your favorite carrier oil.
- Apply directly to the skin or dilute with a non-scented massage oil such as jojoba.
- Listed as : GRAS (the Food and Drug Administration's food additive label: 'Generally Recognized as Safe').
This Rose Geranium has a light, honeyed top note, complex rosy floral middle notes entwined with deeply sweet and slightly cinnamon-spiced undertones.
The delicate characteristics of this oil mean that it has the potential to blend well with a wide array of essential oils including: Eucalyptus, Lavender, Clary Sage, Rose, Lime, Orange, Frankincense, Grapefruit, and Ylang Ylang.
Generally non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction. Use caution to avoid use with dermatitis in hypersensitive persons.
Avoid use during pregnancy or when breast-feeding. If intending to ingest this oil, consultation with a physician is recommended.