- Distillation Method:
- Country of Origin:
- Plant Part:
- Flower Petals
- Latin Name:
- Rosa damascena
- Certified Organic
About the Oil: Rich, intoxicating and elevating, this complex, full bodied Rose hydrosol is reminiscent of a field of blooming roses direct from the 'Valley of the Roses' in Bulgaria. This is our favorite Rose absolute of all time bringing out subtle depth and fresh, classic floral notes we have not experienced before– organically grown roses may make the difference.
ABOUT THE PLANT
The damask rose is a hardy, deciduous, bushy shrub with a height and spread of up to two meters (six feet). It has grey-green foliage and fragrant double flowers, pink in bud and fading to almost white. Also called Summer Damask, Turkish and Bulgarian rose, it requires a very specific soil and climate.
The birthplace of the cultivated rose R. damascena was probably northern Persia. It then spread across Mesopotamia, Palestine and across to Asia Minor and Greece. The European name for the Damascus rose dates from the Crusades and is now incorporated into its botanical name.; Most Rosa damascena is cultivated in the Balkan mountains of southern Bulgaria, in the Valley of the Roses. Because Roses are such an important part of Bulgarian culture, the government regulates their production to ensure the purity of its Rose essential oils.
ABOUT THE HYDROSOL
Three main products are obtained from roses: an essential oil, a concrete, and an absolute. The essential oil is obtained by steam distillation of the whole flowers, the concrete by solvent extraction of the leaves and flowers, and an absolute by further extracting the concrete. Not considered a main product, but rather a by-product, rosewater is the aqueous portion of steam distillation after the Rose oil is removed. While there are thousands of rose varieties, the 'Damask' rose, cultivated since the 16th, century is considered to produce the finest quality essence. The aroma of this oil is full and rich, intoxicating and aphrodisiac.
Rose Hydrosol is a complex 250+ constituent rich rose water. As a result, there is high therapeutic value and potential, particularly for the skin. Traditional uses of Rose Hydrosol include maintining skin moisture balance, nourishing the skin, and enhance circulation. This leaves radiant, youthful, healthy looking skin.
Exalted in literature and mythology, the rose has been sacred since ancient times–it's blossom is a symbol of beauty, love, youth, perfection and immortality. In Greek mythology the rose is said to have sprung from Adonis, the Turks believe it sprang from the blood of Venus and the Moham-medans believe it sprang from the sweat of Mohamed.
The rose was probably the first flower from which an essential oil was ever distilled. In 10th century Persia the great Arab physician Avicenna prepared the first Rosewater and is credited with having distilled the first Rose oil, possibly by chance during the course of alchemical experiments. The rose has considerable significance in the theoretical and metaphysical aspects of alchemy, with red and white roses each being thought appropriate to different stages of the alchemist's work. For this reason they were placed in retorts and heated with a variety of different ma-terials in the attempt to transmute base metals into gold, producing rosewater and essential oil accidentally in the process. Avicenna wrote an entire book on the many healing properties of the rose, and by the end of that century rosewater and Rose oil were well-known in Arab speaking countries.
Although Avicenna is commonly credited with the first distillation of Rose oil, it is believed that the oil was not distilled until the early 1600s. Maud Grieve tells the story of how rose oil was first discovered in her book, A Modern Herbal, published in 1931. According to Grieve, there was a feast for the Princess Nour Dijhan to the Grand Mogul Djihanguyr. A canal circling the garden was dug and filled with rose water. They noticed later that a scum had formed on the water and was float-ing on the surface. The scum turned out to be Rose oil that the heat of the sun had caused to separate from the water.
The rose has been deemed the ‘Queen of Flowers', and in aromatherapy Rose oil is often referred to as the Queen of Essential Oils. This Queen of Essential oils has been revered throughout the centuries for it's exquisitely sweet aroma and therapeutic value.
- reduces redness
- strengthens capillaries
- evens complexion
- firms and contracts exposed tissue
- reduces moisture loss
- tones and restores venous circulation
- promotes the healing of tissues
- smooths wrinkles
- neutralizes microbes
- diminishes swelling
- helps heal burns and wounds
- encourages cell regeneration
- helps stop or reduce bleeding
- Recommended for all skin types, especially mature, dry, sensitive and couperose skin, eczema, broken capillaries, wrinkles
- neutralizes microbes
- aids breathing
- calms coughs
- quells irritation from environmental factors
- counteracts physical hypersensitivity
- reduces the incidence and severity of vomiting and nausea
- helps maintain healthy function of the liver
- helps maintain healthy function of the gall bladder
- tones the stomach
- settles digestion
- promotes normal peristalsis
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- promotes bowel movement
- strengthens the CIRCULATORY SYSTEM
- balances hormones during menopause
- cools hot flashes
- helps regulate the female REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM
- relaxes cramping
- tones the uterus
- increases sexual desire
- strengthens the NERVOUS SYSTEM
- uplifts mood
- clears the head
- relieves intellectual fatigue
- strengthens and clarifies the mind
- calms the NERVOUS SYSTEM
- lessens anxiety
- reduces stress
- promotes sleep
- promotes relaxation
- In TCM, Rose is cool and moist in nature, clears heat and inflammation, and helps to restore the body's yin energy.
- Rose calms and supports the heart, helping to nourish 'heart yin' and restore a sense of well-being. The key to its profound psychological properties is its effect on the center of emotional being; Rose has a great ability to bring balance and harmony to the emotions, heal emotional wounds, comfort in times of sorrow, dissolve psychological pain, aid in overcoming insecurities, and help release negative emotions such as anger, despair, frustration, fear and anxiety.
- It is the supreme oil of the heart chakra and will help the heart chakra to open when grief has caused it to close down. Also connected to the sacral chakra, Rose helps to spiritualize sexual relationships. As it opens the heart it opens doors to love, friendship, and empathy and compassion.
- Rose also works amazingly well for deep anxiety and low mood. Rose is very comforting to the mind, especially in cases of feeling alienated. Gabriel Mojay states that Rose is "recommended for a loss of self esteem of the very deepest kind–where emotional pain has injured the capacity for self-love . . . particularly for the resentment that results from emotional coldness, rejection and betrayal."
- Rose is elevating to the mind and spirit encouraging feelings of happiness and contentment and bringing warmth to the soul. It is considered the essential oil with the 'highest vibration'.
Oil of Rose can be utilized in a number of ways; it is very gentle, being suitable for use on the skin 'neat' in massage oil and in a bath, as well as in a diffuser. As a perfume, the absolute can be worn directly on the skin – its 'tenacious' quality will have the aroma slowly released for many hours.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- One of our all time bestsellers, Rose is diffused to bring its magical scent to a room or house. Uplifting and stimulating for the mind and relaxing and soothing simultaneously, a very small amount goes a long way to bringing its fantastic qualities into one's life.
- massage, compress, bath, skincare
- SKIN CARE is the second most popular use of Rose absolute after perfumery. It is balancing and moisturizing and can be added in small amounts to any skin cream (especially homemade!). Rose is great for all skin types, especially dry, sensitive, aging and couperose skin. A 5% dilution in Jojoba oil works best.
- Massage a dilution of 10% Rose oil in jojoba into the heart area for therapeutic use on the emotions. A diffuser is very effective for this purpose as well.
- Add a few drops to baths (after the tub is full, so as to not release all the aroma before one has gotten in!).
This Rose Absolute is yellow-orange with a warm, sweet, complex and deeply rosy aroma with a rich, honeyed undertone–it is magnetic and intoxicating! This is one of the most divine scents in our collection.
Rose Absolute differs from Rose Otto in scent as well as chemical components. Rose Absolute is deeper–more middle note than high–but both are very intriguing. For therapeutic use we recommend Rose Otto. For aromatic uses and perfumery where a true Rose floral aroma is desired we recommend this wonderful Rose Absolute; it is perfect in natural perfume blends.
Our Rose Absolute is very concentrated; please dilute this oil into jojoba or other vegetable oil (or perfumer's alcohol) prior to using.
Rose blends well with most other oils, particularly Amber, Bergamot, Cedarwood, Chamomile, Lavender, Jasmine, Patchouli, Sandalwood, and Ylang-Ylang.
Generally non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.
If pregnant consult with a physician prior to use.