- Distillation Method:
- Plant Part:
- Whole Fruit
- Latin Name:
- Rosa canina
- Certified Organic
About the Oil: This supercritical CO2 extract contains the whole Rosehip, not just the famous rosehip seeds. As a specialty skincare oil, Rosehip CO2 is very high in antioxidants, and has all the wonderful properties of coldpressed Rosehip Seed oil in a much more concentrated form. Very highly recommended for skin care blends, it can be applied at 100% strength for potent skin healing.
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
Rosa canina, commonly known as the dog-rose, is a variable climbing, wild rose species native to Europe, northwest Africa, and western Asia. A deciduous shrub normally ranging in height from 1–5 meters (3.3–16.4 ft), its stems are covered with small, sharp, hooked prickles, which aid in its climbing. The flowers are usually pale pink, but can vary between a deep pink and white, and ma-ture into an oval, red-orange fruit, or hip.
Rosehip seed oil is also made from Rosa moschata, the musk rose, and Rosa rubiginosa.
ABOUT THE OIL
Rosehip seed oil as a carrier oil made its debut in the 1980's with university studies in South America showing its anti-aging effect on the skin. More recently, it has been discovered that the entire rosehip fruit is exceptionally rich in nutrients that make it an exquisite skin care ingredient. We use it all the time in our skin care formulas, particularly for anti-aging, as its antioxidant con-centration is probably unmatched, except perhaps by oils such as Calendula, Carrot Root and Sea Buckthorn.
This organic supercritical extract, ""CO2 Total"", is made from the entire rosehip (fruit), exacting ALL the lipid-soluble nutrients into the oil. It combines the fatty acids of the seeds with a high concentration of the antioxidants and other nutrients found in the body of the fruit itself.
Its deep red color indicates its richness in antioxidants and polyphenols.
Rosehip seed oil is an excellent source of natural vitamin E and natural vitamin A, or 'trans-retinoic acid'. Retinoic acid, the acid derivative of vitamin A, is the active ingredient found in Ret-in-A or Tretinoin. The supercritical extract is also a rich source of both the antioxidant vitamin C (about 1700–2000 milligrams per 100 grams of oil) and essential fatty acids.
By using this concentrated form, you can boost the therapeutic value of nearly any skin care preparation, enhancing its ability to improve skin texture, along with other desirable actions in top-ical preparations for ""mature skin"" and ""anti-aging"" skin care. We've experimented with using this oil at 100% on irritated, sun-drenched skin with magnificent results.
- reduces redness
- diminishes swelling
- protects cells against oxidative damage
- helps heal burns and wounds
- encourages cell regeneration
- evens skin tone
- reduces scarring
- minimizes stretch marks
- Recommended for dry skin, aging skin, sunburn, fine lines, scars, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, age spots. Not recommended for acne.
- massage, skincare
- This is an incredible ingredient for regenerative SKIN CARE formulas. Rosehip seed oil has been the subject of much scientific research noting its ability to reduce the appearance of sun damage, fine lines and scars.
- The first major study on rosehip seed oil was performed in 1983 by a team of researchers at the University of Santiago, Chile. The study's participants included individuals with diverse forms of skin damage: deep wrinkles and other premature aging, UV damage, radiation damage, acne scarring, burn scarring, dermatitis, and other problems of this type. Rosehip seed oil was shown to have significant, noticeable effects in the appearance of wrinkles and scars, and helping the skin to regain its natural color and tone.
- Another later study was conducted on women ages 2535 with extensive premature aging of their skin. Again, rosehip seed oil significantly reduced the appearance of wrinkles and sun spots after daily application for four months.
- Besides its regenerative properties, Rosehip Oil is an excellent moisturizer. This is most likely due to its high essential fatty acid content (fatty acids that the body cannot produce itself), which are necessary for healthy skin. The oil penetrates the upper layers of the skin quickly and, being known as a 'dry' moisturizer, does not leave the skin feeling greasy or oily.
- It is considered extremely gentle and can be applied undiluted to the skin. It may also be blended into carrier oils like jojoba and sweet almond, and will have wonderful effects at 10% of the total concentration.
Generally non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.
If pregnant consult with a physician prior to use.