Sage Essential Oil
- Distillation Method:
- Country of Origin:
- Plant Part:
- Leaves and Twigs
- Latin Name:
- Salvia officinalis
- Naturally Grown
About the Oil: Our Sage Essential Oil has a warm, spicy, herbaceous and mild camphoraceous aroma–delightfully fresh and invigorating! Sage is energizing and clears the head as well as the negative energy in a space.
Drops per mlBlending Tips
ABOUT THE PLANT
Also known as 'Dalmatian"" and 'Garden' Sage, this is the common herbaceous aromatic plant found in semi-arid regions the world over. A member of the illustrious mint family, Sage typically reaches a meter (~3 feet) in height with distinctly oval, fuzzy leaves and produces a large number of blueish violet blossoms. A native species to the Mediterranean, it is now predominantly culti-vated in Albania, Turkey, Greece and Italy.
ABOUT THE OIL
This pale yellow essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves and twigs of Sage plants organi-cally grown in Greece.
Sage was known at the 'sacred herb' by the ancient Romans; the word 'Salvia' is derived from the word Latin verb salvare which means 'to save' and refers to its powerful medicinal properties. Nowadays it is mostly known as a culinary spice, and the dried herb is commonly used to 'smudge' rooms, buildings and other areas to move out old, negative, or stagnant energy.
- protects cells against oxidative damage
- reduces redness
- diminishes swelling
- reduces scarring
- minimizes stretch marks
- helps heal burns and wounds
- encourages cell regeneration
- reduces perspiration
- neutralizes microbes
- firms and contracts exposed tissue
- prevents moisture loss
- tones and restores venous circulation
- promotes the healing of tissues
- neutralizes insects
- encourages hair growth
- Specifically for blemished skin.
- stimulate IMMUNE SYSTEM
- reduces body temperature
- neutralizes microbes
- aids in the expulsion of mucous
- stimulates the bronchi
- relaxes cramping
- stimulates DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
- increases appetite
- neutralizes microbes
- promotes urination
- helps maintain kidney action
- settles digestion
- increases absorption in the intestines
- promotes normal peristalsis
- assists the body's natural eliminatory response
- increases blood flow to extremities
- increases circulation
- decreases listlessness
- promotes and regulates menstruation
- uplifts mood
- stimulates NERVOUS SYSTEM
- clears the head
- relieves intellectual fatigue
- strengthens and clarifies the mind
- increases focus and attention span
- Sage is drying and astringent. Very effective for treating deficiencies of Qi, it is recommended for nervous exhaustion and convalescence.
- Sage is excellent for meditation and visualizations for developing wisdom. It clears the head, lifts feelings of despair, and clarifies in times of confusion.
- direct inhalation, diffuser, oil vaporizer
- Aromatically, Sage essential oil can be mentally stimulating, helping one cope with despair and mental fatigue. It also assists in detoxifying the body, regulating circulation and supporting metabolism.
- The oil may support the balancing of hormones for women, bringing positive energy to the pelvic chakra where negative emotions from denial and abuse can be stored.
- massage, compress, bath, ointment, skincare
- It's regenerative and detoxifying properties make it popular in formulas for cellulite, acne, stretch marks, healing old and keloid scars, and hair growth formulas.
- Sage is highly regenerative for the skin and scalp–though this comes with a caveat: high levels of the ketone thujone call its safety into question. Some therapists don't condone using it at all, some say the essential oil should only be used by professional aromatherapists, and some say that in therapeutic dilutions it is usable for most folks (do not use if pregnant, epileptic, hypertensive, or with children under 12).
- If you are using this essential oil topically be sure to keep the dilution as low as possible. This is a very powerful oil and should be used with care. Very small amounts, 1% or less, should be sufficient to tigger the the oil's biological signaling action.
- DO NOT INGEST UNLESS UNDER MEDICAL SUPERVISION.
This Sage essential oil has a green, slightly spiced top note, a deep pine-like and herbaceous middle note and a warm, resinous, musty and earthy undertone.
It blends well with: Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Lemongrass, Pine and Rosemary cineole.
Always test a small amount first for sensitivity or allergic reaction.
Do not use if: pregnant, epileptic, hypertensive, under 12 years of age.
IMPORTANT: Sage officinalis essential oil contains relatively high levels of thujone, a ketone that is toxic. Thujone is known to induce convulsions if used in too high a dose and should be avoided altogether during pregnancy (it is an abortifacient), with children under 12, or by individu-als with a history of epilepsy or other seizures or high blood pressure. This essential oil is not recommended for internal use unless under medical supervision.
Because of Sage's ketone content, it should be used sparingly and only as needed; not ongoing.